Welcome to Makaira Resort, your island paradise beside the sea.
Gentle lapping waves on a white sandy shore, fish darting among colorful reefs in turquoise seas, the lazy rustle of palm tree fronds.
Explore our Garden Island by day caressed by tropical breezes, dive pristine reefs awash with life, relax and soak up the sun, dine on fresh, organic local produce, and await the quietude of a golden sun setting in a keleidoscope of vibrant colors.
A Special Place in Paradise
Travelers, including those who’ve already hit the world’s better-known exotic and tropical spots are discovering that Taveuni is one of the jewels of the Pacific and an exciting new destination. Especially for those that are searching for the exotic that includes all the romance of the South Pacific, endemic and indigenous beauty of the verdant tropics, world-renowned diving and a rich diverse culture, with the friendliest people on Earth. The only skyscrapers you will see are our coconut trees that are home to the tropical birds.
Live the fantasy. With only 3 of the most spacious accommodations (bures) of any mid-range resort in Matei, Taveuni. They are spread out over more than 2 acres on a 4 acre property with stunning panoramic ocean views, from each accommodation. The property even includes gorgeous sunsets over the sea with islands dappled on the horizon. Makaira Resort is for the traveler seeking romance, privacy, serenity , beauty and adventure. Wake up to an ocean view from your bed, laze in the swinging king size bed in the cabana bure on the point, tan by your own private plunge pool, spend an afternoon snorkeling, kayaking (included amenities) on our beautiful reefs or laying on the 1/3 Km long white sandy beach below us that offers the most in privacy.
For the eco-friendly explore or participate in our coral gardening project and plant your own reef. Perhaps you would like to charter our Sea Dancer for some deep sea fishing, go hiking, scuba diving, horseback riding or bird watching. There is so much to do on Taveuni; we have a concierge and a fabulous Fijian staff to help you plan your day trips outside of Makaira. But, before you start your day enjoy our complimentary breakfast and catch up on your e-mails from our free Wi-Fi service provided in every room. If you prefer you can make dinner reservations at our restaurant or prepare your own simple meals in the kitchenette in each accommodation. Experience the best of both worlds of a vacation home rental and a resort with full service and full time staff that combines the Bula and Aloha spirit. Tailor your vision of your ultimate holiday.
Contact us directly for the very latest special offers and flexible forward bookings for international travelers.
For local specials please get in touch for availability, inclusions, and latest rates
Super Special Accommodation Amenities at Makaira
- Gorgeous white beach below us that stretches for a third of a km with amazing snorkeling
- Free Wifi
- Free airport transfers – for international visitors we can arrange for a taxi to pick you up either at the airport of the wharf
- Private dipping pools off the deck of all 3 of our accommodations
- Concierge service from 8am to 4pm Monday through Friday if you would prefer to have someone organize your tours and activities. Morning housekeeping staff will also be happy if you need assistance on the weekends.
- Daily maid service & full time Fijian staff and all linens provided
- Each self contained accommodation is privately situated and enjoys its own sweeping ocean views
- Flat screen TV with hundreds of free movies on USB to enjoy for a change of pace .
- Kitchenette with the basic utensils
- Refrigerator and double gas burner
- Electric stand up fan
- French Press for making coffee
- 24 hours of power
- Premium King Size beds, or a King and 2 Singles for the Grander, or 4 Single beds
- Imported Linens
- Bath and beach towels
- Spacious bathrooms with indoor hot water shower
- Soap, shampoo and conditioner
- Cool refreshing jungle showers attached to each accommodation
- Fabulous in-house Fijian staff and Hawaiian owned for the best of the “Bula” and “Aloha” spirit !
Free Activities in and around Makaira
· Request a kava evening for a fun time with the Makaira family
· Lovely white sand beach below us that stretches for a third of a km with amazing snorkeling
· Free snorkel lessons
· Free use of snorkel gear
· Free introductory afternoon snorkel tour of the area out front or any afternoon you want to have a guide out front
· Free lessons in coral gardening-create your own little reef
· Free glass bottom kayak
· Dipping pool for those times you don’t want to stray from Makaira to the beach and to just nap, or read and enjoy the massive ocean views .
· Cabana bure on the point with a large lounging bed, barbeque and picnic table for our guests enjoyment.
· Coconut Craft lessons- Our fabulous staff will be happy to show you how to make a coconut hat, basket or how to weave a coconut leaf for a roof in case you ever find yourself on the Survivor show.
Other Activities Offered
The following activities are a available for a fee as well as equipment for hire
· Makaira deep sea fishing charters for all types of anglers and techniques of fishing
· Dining: In our dining room overlooking a view of paradise. Dinner 18-26 USD depending on Chefs choice of the night per person by reservation.
· The best Massages in our massage spa overlooking the sea.
· Boat snorkel tour that is like a Nat geo adventure
· State of the art fishing kayaks
· If you need assistance organizing activities with local operators for scuba dives, hikes, horseback riding and bird watching , we will be happy to do that for you. We can organize your diving either before or upon arrival. The dive operator will pick you up right here at Makaira and drop you off in the afternoon.